Saturday, April 7, 2012

April 7, 2012

I competed my THIRD 12-mile run. Best time yet - 2hr 35mins... This was 9 mins faster than last week and 11 mins faster than 2 weeks ago. WOW!!! Maybe all those extra runs with the Running Club is helping. Everyone else in the Intermediate/Advanced group is TONS faster than me.. I can do the distance but there is a couple of HUGE factors when we meet at 6p in the evening. #1 is impending darkness and #2 energy level. I have usually already workout in the morning before work (because I cannot sleep very long due to the spasticity,neuropathy (nerve pain) and restless leg issues. So I might as well get up and do something. Therefore, I go and run the treadmill and other strength exercises. I am trying to do one 12-mile run per week up to the day of the 10-mile race on May 19th. I have an opportunity for 8 runs (one per weekend). Now I figured barring weather issues and my own MS body issues - I may be knocked out of 2 weekends - giving me a minimum of 6. Right now, I am on track... I did this last run in 2hr 35min. I was having alot of issues with my left foot. The tightness was really bad and also the mis-stepping. I had to really concentrate from Avy School Rd to home. I did it - NO falls... Many mis-steps but was able to stay upright!!!!!! Yes - now I am very tired.. Need to go and take a shower which I know will feel like the wonder of the universe! I just need to get myself there. Sometimes after that much exercise - you just need to sit and relax. I think that is OK.... But I am very excited at my time improvement!!!! I wonder how I will do at the actual race???? All I can do is keep working and stay on my course... It seems to be working.... Right now, my feet feel like they are on FIRE; it feels like my legs are being squeezed with a super tight leggings; it feels like inside the leggings there are ants that are hot and running up and down my legs; it feels like my shoes are now about 2 sizes to small and way to narrow; it feels like everything is very heavy - like there are weights on my legs and arms; my verbal speech is very difficult for me to get out full thoughts; and that there is a squeezing sensation around my waist like a very tight undergarment. So if you think - oh her MS is in some sort of remission. BULL --- no --- the normal runner does NOT have these feelings... But the thing is yes - I have these feelings NOW. But they will calm down - but DO NOT go away.... They just get more aggresive when I exercise and really exhaust out those muscles to the endth degree. That is when I usually have an "accident" and fall. So I have to be EVEN MORE mindful of my stepping.... But the option of stopping and not doing this --- NO WAY!!!! I do enjoy this - I am in GREAT physical health - and my overall mobility and stability has improved 1000-fold... So that is why I do this and will continue as long as I physically able....

No comments:

Post a Comment