Wednesday, April 11, 2012

04/11/2012

I have been pretty tired this week. I really think that big 12-mile run on Saturday took alot of energy out of me. I did run last night at run club. Despite the cold and the wind, I did OK... 4 miles in 45 mins. Then after I was off to the gym to John's exercise class. His class is very physical and different -- so I enjoy it. It is DEFINITELY a challange - there is no doubt about that!!! It is also interesting - me the over 50 and with SP MS is the ONLY person from the run club group that goes to John's class after running. Last night, I really thought it was very funny -- I just got back to our starting point (the parking lot) and there was a couple ladies from the beginning run group chatting and debating whether they should go to John's class now or just go home. Now, these ladies are MUCH younger than I and are in the BEGINNING run group so they did not run as far... Well, as soon as I got to the parking lot because of time - I jumped into my car and went right over to the gym. As for the ladies or any other ones from the run group --- NOT ONE PERSON!!!! HUMMMMMMM.... Interesting..... Yes, was I tired - YES!!! I also know that the cross-training really helps my running. It has given me strength in my muscles and my core is MUCH stronger and stable... This is HUGE when it comes to running... Not only the strength in the muscles but the CORE issue (helps to keep me upright). Maybe I am not the fastest in the run group, let's get real - I know that will not happen. But what I am doing has amazed not only myself but my doctors. I know this will help me in the long run (I know a pun). If I keep going with this lifestyle - my general health will continue to be excellent and it will help to maintain my mobility. I have also noticed my fatigue level and cognitive issues have gotten better. That is not to say that I do not get tired - I my -- yes -- past tired... And when I really exert myself, like last Saturday, it takes me days to really recover. Yes, when I am tired - I shut down 100%. This means no verbal communication - basically nothing.... So I just push till I am pretty much totally spent - then go and shut down. But with the exercise my stamina is so much better. I have noticed this mainly when I am just out and running errands or out with other people at an event. I used to be so totally exhausted afterwards for days... Not so much any more... It has GREATLY improved my overall stamina. That is HUGE!!! Anyone with chronic fatigue knows that it is a real BITCH.... There are no kind words for it... It drags you down to all kinds of dark places... really not good. So having the stamina and keeping that horrible, horrible fatigue at bay for awhile is a blessing... Another wonderful thing is that I weighted myself today and found that I had lost another 2 pounds... I am close to my goal... 4 more pounds to go... That is what running will do to you. It is very difficult for me to lose weight. My metabolism is slower than a turtle.... I am post-metapausal and on two different drugs that are "downers". (One for the spasms and neuropathy and other for restless leg.) So this makes it very difficult. But I need the drugs in order to maintain my lifestyle. Oh well.... I would rather have the drugs and just keep working on the weight issue. It is coming off and I have maintained and gone down for a long time. It is just something that will always be an issue in my life. I know that my nutrition choices have also been a key factor not only in my progression with my wellness with my MS but my overall health and my weight. So my nutrition will continue to be the same. Yes, I enjoy having my sweets. Last night after dinner (salad, plain with dressing) I had a piece of my orange dreamcycle pie with banana cream topping.... YUMMY --- this is all made with tofu... So it was a GREAT thing for me to have last night after a run and an intense exercise session. Tofu is very high in protein. It also takes on the favor of whatever you put with it... I made the orange-dream with tofu and sugar free orange jello - mixed and put in a pie crust. Then the topping is tofu mixed with sugar free banana cream pudding. This is SO VERY HARD.... LOL.... But you know what - it tastes WONDERFUL and actually very good for you.... It is totally vegan.... high in protein... no sugar... and satisfies the sweet that we ALL crave... I do the same with sugar free chocolate pudding --- oh my - it is really good!!!!!! Today is going to be rest day... Tomorrow - we will see - I should be able to run in the morning at least.... As always -- I am moving forward!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment