Thursday, April 5, 2012

4/5/2012

Yesterday, was beautiful outside. So as soon as I got home from work and started some bread. I was off.... The problem for me and evening running is two fold - my energy level and darkness. So I have to be even MORE mindful of my steps because it is even easier for the drop foot and miss stepping. So this takes even MORE energy. Then I am not as fast in the evening... I did 3 miles in 50 mins. That is not a good time for me. But I did run it 100%. My "transformation" if you want to call it that from walker to running comprises of many factors. Not only the exercise, which you may have guessed I am a strongly endorse. But also the nutrition side. I have done a 100% turnaround in my nutrition over the last 6 years. I was a daily red-meat eating, fast food eating, processed food eating person. Like probably most of the population. I did research on my own about nutrition and MS. I read about eating a diet high in fat and how that effects MS. With MS, we have exposed nerves due to the covering (mylin) being distroyed) so the various nerve type issues we feel are like "little fires" within the nerve fibers. When you put fat on a fire - what happens? The fire becomes bigger. So I went to a non-red meat and non-processed foods type of approach. Yes - you do need to have some fat but the right type of fat. For me and I know of others - where this approach to their nutrition as made a HUGE difference. I also eat alot of raw foods. So what is a typical day for me... Breakfast - coffee (sorry I know a vice but I love it), banana, orange, and maybe some oatmeal with protein powder (if really hungery); lunch - is soup or rice cakes with 2 pieces fruit (apples or pears); afternoon snack - yogurt and another piece of fruit (apple or pear); dinner - lettuce salad with carrots, celery, egg, apple, and maybe another veggie if I have or if I did ALOT of exercise that day - I will throw in a boca burger (homemade). Then I may have dessert of tofu "ice cream" - non-dairy and maybe a piece of sugar free, dairy free cake that I made... Come on - I have to have some sweets... I am just very mindful of what they are. I make my sweets so there is not any processed anything and I can control and make them low in fat and sugar free. I also LOVE to make sugar free "pudding". This is sugar free pudding mix then you mix with tofu... YUMMY... This is high in protein which is great for me and tastes like a mousse... It is fantastic!!!! So this is the kind of foods that I eat. Like I said, most of my veggies and fruit are raw. I usually only have meat (non-red meat) on the weekends. I have not had fast-food or processed foods in years. I make my own bread that is high in fiber. I use organic flours and ingredients. (That is what a breadmaker is for...) But it makes a difference!!! I know of others with MS that have benefited GREATLY from a whole foods type of diet. One of the authorities on the subject is Dr. Terry Wahl's. She also has 2ndary Progressive MS. She has changed her diet and gone from wheelchair to biking (that is her sport). Another is Montel Williams - he is also a strong proponent of exercise and nutrition. It does make a difference. But it takes time... Like me - it took about 5 years for me to have a "break through". But if you perservere - maybe you can to... I look at thing - will this harm me? Proper nutrition will not hurt you - but it does make you healthier in the long run. I think do to all of these factors - I have NOT had a cold/flu anything in years.... Why? Because my overall health is better than it has in YEARS... But - you HAVE TO BE DILIGENT!!!!! No matter what the temptation.... But once again - it is a choice. I chose this so I can maintain and improve my mobility and cognitive aspects --- and guess what it is working....

No comments:

Post a Comment