Friday, March 9, 2012

March 9, 2012

Today had a nice run on the treadmill.  Did a total of 4 miles - not too bad.  So even with yesterday being a "run rest day" I can still keep going with my miles.  Last night, did my favorite class - Pilates.  That class is wonderful for me.  It has helped me tremendously with balance and improving my overall core.  It does wear me out.  I think many people see us in Pilates class and think it is for sissies because the moves are very slow and dilberate.  We also hold posses for an extended length of time.  This takes alot of strength.  Pilates and Yoga has been shown by researcher to be EXCELLENT for those with neuromuscular diseases.  This is because of working that Core and the flexibility.  It really makes a BIG difference.  My pilates instructor will tell you, I have really improved with my overall balance and stamina since I began Pilates.  I highly recommend it for anyone with neuromuscular diseases.  Ok - enough of my soapbox commercials......   Today the plan is after work to go to Body Pump class.  This is a weight lifting class to music.  Weight lifting and bearing weight is great for bone strengthening.  Remember I am old (over 50).  So keeping my bones strong, especially for someone who falls on a regular basis is very important so that I do not break.  Because a break can cause me to have highten MS issues - which causes me to not work out which causes me to slide backwards very quickly.  Then it may take me months to get back to the point I am at right now.  So that is why I do Body Pump.  I am not trying to get some goddess body - get real I am over 50, Irish, from the midwest....  Plus with the running - have I fallen - OH YES!!!!  Let's see, last session - I tore my left calf muscle TWICE.  Now, that really really hurts and takes FOREVER to heal.  This is because my muscle go spastic at any given time and I am trying to force them to lengthen and snap....  Then I had a stress fracture on my left wrist from running downhill and my legs deciding not to run and down I go...  I also had a fall running once again downhill and skinned my knees - I did this 3 times.  Luckly I have friends that tried to mop up my bleeding and bandage me back up.  Then the beginning of the summer was the BIG bike accident.  Where I fell off my brand new bike.  Now mind you. My family decided this would be a safe bike for someone who has balance issues and vertigo.  It is a recumbant -  get ready of it --- 3 WHEEL bike...  Yes - it is a GIANT big wheel..  If you remember those from being a kid...  Well, I fell off going down hill.  I was going pretty fast (it is not fun to go slow) and I got caught by a wind gust and my vertigo started in and I tumbled over and skidded in the pavement and gravel.  Well, I ended up with lots of stitches.  I had stitches in my mouth (I bit through my upper lip), outside my mouth, and both hands.  Now, I am also on asprin plus allergic to novacaine.  Remember, when my doc thought I had originally had a small stroke.  He put me on asprin.  Not baby asprin but full adult asprin - every day.  He has had me continue this.  I think this has alot to do with my father's heart issues....  So anyway - this is important because asprin is a blood thinner.  So I was bleeding like someone had just tried to kill me...  The amount of blood on the pavement - it looked like someone had gutted a deer.  Not kidding....  As you can tell I lived.  Without any help from the Pec ambulance team.  That is another story.....  Let's see where was I...  The point is, yes, you may get injuried but guess what you also heal.  Remember the old attive "no pain no gain".  I keep pushing myself because I am trying with every ounce to fight the MS and to stay mobile.  Someday I will have grandchildren.  I want to be able to go and play with them.  Not just hold them as I sit in a wheelchair.  Yes - that is a TRUE possibility.  But I am going to FIGHT this with EVERY ounce and piece of energy that I have.  Always moving FORWARD!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've recovered so nicely from the bike incident. No pain, no gain :) You've certainly had a lot of pain, but you've gained a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was running in the Memorial Day 5k after the accident. My Dr only wanted me to wait till after the stitches came out. In fact, the day he took out the stitches I was running that evening. There are some advantages to all the numbness/tingling I feel. I do not always feel what should be very painful. I just keep going forward... always forward...

      Delete