Monday, March 26, 2012

3/26/12

Well, the wonderful vacation is official over... back to work! That is OK - it helps you appreciate the time off. We did have a fantastic time with Jeremy and seeing so many different things around the Maryland area. Plus, there was another benefit - I lost 4 pounds!!!! The whole trip was awesome!!! This weekend was the icing on the cake for me!!! I was able to accomplish my goal that I set to do by Easter - run the 12 mile course. I did it! Now, I am planning to do that course 1x per week up to the race. I think that will allow me to be pretty set for the race in Madison/Stoughton WI. As I run, I not only concentrating on my footing but my mind goes to over things. One of the things, is over the last year of running - I have had to re-learn how to run. I know what does that mean --- well -- with MS one of the many difficulties is the numbness in the legs and feet (so I can not feel the roadway) also as I get more fatigued I have to REALLY concentrate on my footing. I have a tendency to do the MS standard of "drop foot". This means that one foot (for me the left) does not want to raise up all the way and kind of shuffles... When this happens you can guess --- I become one with the pavement... The of course, the standard MS issue - as your muscles get more fatigued - it feels like you are walking through mud. So for a non-MS person - image running with one swim flipper on your left foot, two ankle weights on your left and one on your right, and then there is the "MS hug" which means that if feels like your have a really tight corset or wrap around your midriff. Now - go and run.... So everytime - it is hard. The other nemeses is going around curves or changing pavement. Some people say, you run so much it must be very easy of you... WRONG... It is never easy and never will be.... Because my mind knows that I am changing - my nerves are damaged and the message from my brain to the nerves to the muscles - takes more time. So that is when I typically become one with the pavement again. Even in Maryland - I did leave some of me on the pavement there. Oh well!!! Guess what - you heal from skinned knees. It is when you break bones or need stitches is the big deal. Last year, I encountered all 3 malaties. This year - I pray that only the skinned knees occur. But, the point is - having to RE-LEARN how to run and to focus on continuously reading my body. That is the REALLY hard part of the run. I have learned alot about my body since I began this venture last year. But I have improved physically - drastically! Serously - my Docs are amazed and so am I truthfully... So anyone with issues of balance and/or neuropathy and/or drop/foot, ect... Believe me, those issues do NOT go away. But my degree of those issues have improved. Do I still have neuropathy - YES - my feet are on fire as I write this - but they are like that 24/7. Do I still have the spasms in my legs, yes. Do I still have balance issues - yes - but the degree of it - I am MUCH MUCH better (remember cane-free). I also know that, for me, the nutrition has been EXTREMELY important factor of my progression. I do not eat processed food, no red meat (and very little meat), very little dairy (basically only yogurt), ect. I eat alot of of raw foods - alot of veggies and fruit. Right now, I feel like I am on the right path to accomplish my grand goal of the 10 mile in Stoughton, WI!

No comments:

Post a Comment