Friday, March 23, 2012

3/23/2012

We arrived home last night. We had such a WONDERFUL time with Jeremy and seeing so many exciting things!!! One of the most notable - is that we actually got to raise a replica of the flag that was flown at the actually spot of the War of 1812 where Frances Scott Key wrote the Star Spangle Banner!!!! Seriously - awesome!!!! So yesterday, was a travel day - no running. Rested and went to bed early. I got up this morning. It had rained hard last night but stopped in the morning. It was warm but not too warm and a slight breeze. Perfect run weather!!! So I went out about 7a (slept in)! I started my usual path out to Sumner Rd - down and past the river and saw the beavers around their houses. Then down to see my horses and puppy... They always greet me! I was still feeling great.. so kept going... Got all the way down Sumner Rd to Farwell Bridge Rd(if I turned back at that point it would have been 5 miles). I kept going thinking I really need to start seriously pushing - for my 10 mile race in May. Got past the 4 mile mark (8 if I turned back at that point). Decided I was going to give a try to do the 12 mile path... Turned down Winneshek Rd then crossed over to Avy School Rd to Best to Pec Rd/Main St to 6th St to High St - home === that is a TOTAL OF ..... 12 miles.... I did it in 2hr 46min 35sec... And guess what -- I am upright and lived.... Afterwards, tired - no kidding... My tummy did not feel well... But I just chilled the rest of the morning - ate a banana & coffee & water - very slowly... Actually, I am ahead of my schedule. I wanted to be able to do that route by Easter (first part of April). So I am a couple weeks ahead of schedule. Now I would like to do that route once a week till the race - May 19th. That gives me 7 weekends till that time. Now we now there will be schedule conflicts or weather... So realistically if I can do it 5 more times before May 19th - that would be so FANTASTIC!!!! The race in Stoughton WI is a 10 mile race. So doing the 12 mile here - then I know in my heart I will be able to do the 10 mile in Stoughton. Stoughton also has hills just like Pec. That route is perfect there is lots of gradual grades up and down hill and steep up and down hills... It is not highly trafficed - I wore my lovely neon yellow/orange vest... So at least - the cars will see what they hit... All I ever ask - if someone hits me - make sure that it is an immediate death... I do not want to linger in pain.... So I am very proud of myself today... The rest of the day (last vacation day) I am working on unpacking and some sewing. Then this afternoon I will go to Body Pump class with Mindy. That will be a nice finish to my last day of vacation!!!! Who could ask for anything more!!!!????? I really am very blessed. I have a WONDERFUL family and frieds that are very supportive and loving!!! I was able to see some mind bloggling and wonderful historically and governmental/political treasures of this country!!!! Here I the person who started at first diagnosis (2006) with MS - weighed OVER 270 lbs... Was at a point - of using a walker and very hard to get around... Now - look at me my MS has progressed - I am now 2ndary progressive. And believe me I still have many many many symptoms - I have learned to modify things. Even with running - last year - I had to really learn from scratch how to read my own body cues... It really is weird - and how to run - just like a little kid. But I have done it - it is possible... Believe me - there are many people that knew me from my early days (2006 and earlier) that would bet millions of dollars with 100% assurance that I would NEVER in my lifetime be able to run 12 miles 100%.... VERY VERY VERY VERY SERIOSLY!!!!!! But I want to stay mobile --- the running and exercise has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my cognition issues (especially when I am tired) and my fatigue issues and my balance issues... Really there are many people that can testify to this... I still maintain taking my western prescribed medications... I do NOT discount any of that! I also TRULY feel that one has to change nutrition... That is also VERY imperative... Get away from the red meat and fats... Going to a whole foods/raw diet.... Believe me I have made some desserts that even my Swedish meat/potato husband things is really FANTASTIC!!!! I was also very much a red meat/potato eater. Think about it I am 100% Irish... What else would I eat?????? I have been working on this nutrition and modifing since 2007... It takes time for your body to really change... Think about it - I had been eating the other way - red meat, fats, processed foods for over 40 years.... I think last year - the whole combination of the exercise and nutrition - started to help me "blossom".. So that is 5 year.... So anyone that is working on this approach with their MS or any other neuromuscular diseases -- it takes time.... I GREAT person who has done extensive research and also has a similiar story is Dr. Terry Wahls.... She also has 2ndary progressive MS and at her worst was in a wheelchair.... So google her... Ok -- enough of me and my soapbox... Now - I am not old enough to remember soapboxes - but damn close.... So today is a WONDERFUL day - GREAT way to conclude my FANTASTIC vacation... What do you think????!!!!!! I just feel so blessed and I am so very very very very very very very THANKFUL!!!!! I know where MS goes - I know that EVERY day that I run is a TRUE GIFT from GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment