Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How did I get diagnosed with MS?

Well, everything came to a head in the fall of 2006.  I was getting ready to go on a trip to California to see my son graduate from the Marine boot camp in San Diego.  A few weeks prior, I was feeling this squeezing around my midriff and running down my left leg.  It kept getting more intense.  After a few days (or weeks) I mentioned this to a nurse practitioner at work.  She told me to go see my provider - NOW...  I went to my provider and he dx me with high blood pressure.  He hoped that getting my blood pressure controlled would take care of my symptoms.  He was also thinking that with the high BP - I may have had a small stroke.  Well, I went on my trip and the feelings of the tightness around my midriff and leg was so intense.  When I got off the plane and walking in the SanDiego airport I fell.  My friends helped me up.  I was not sure if I could even walk.  I told my daughter about this event and she called my doctor and got an appointment for me as soon as I returned.  I did go to that appointment and he saw how I had declined.  He referred me to a neurologist.  He said there is something more going on.  I went to the neurologist in November 2006 and he asked me - what I choose having an MRI or spinal tap.  Now - let's see pain or just being unconfortable for a short time.  Yes - I choose the MRI.  The MRI came back and I had numerous legions throughout my brain and spinal cord.  I was then given a series of IV steriods to help calm the nerves and put on various drugs for MS.  At that time, walking was very very difficult.  The nerves in my feet were constanting feeling like they were on fire.  I could not stand or walk anywhere only for short periods because being on my feet was so very painful.  It would also literally exhaust me!   I then started to research and learn about MS.  I started working on changing my nutrition and getting into exercise.  It was a slow progression.  I started with swimming since this was something I loved and would not be too intense on my legs and feet.  Then I started seriously changing my nutrition.  Over the course of the years, I have lost over 100 lbs.  I maintain a diet of whole foods, low-fat, non-red meat and very little meat at all, no processed foods.  I make my own bread and we eat either vegitarian meals or poultry/fish.  I also eat ALOT of raw foods (fruit and veggies).  This has made a HUGE difference for me.  Not just the weight loss but also with my symptoms.  It has really helped!!!!   Then there is the exercise.  People tell me I exercise too much.  They do not understand that the way my muscle atrophy and spasm that every time for me is like starting from the beginning.  I have to be very deligent about this.  I started with walking at the gym on the treadmill in 2009.  Now this also the first time in almost 4 years that I have been able to tolerate shoes on my feet.  The nerves in my feet were so damaged and over sensitive that putting shoes on was HORRIBLE!  I found I could only tolerate CROCS.  In 2009, I started walking on the treadmill with tennis shoes on (big accomplishment).  Then I was encouraged to take an aerobics class by the instructor.  I thought, what the heck - so I did it.  Now, mind you not perfectly and not in step with everyone else but I DID IT!!!  So I continued and continued...  I kept working on my nutrition and exercise.  Then last spring (2011) I even joined the local running club.  Now, mind you - look at where I have come from - also I am over 50 years old.  I did the local 5k that May - to my amazement I actually placed in my age group.  Plus, I actually ran about 1/2 of the route.  WOW!!!  I did local 5k all summer.  It was not till about mid-July that I could run a FULL 5k without walking.  Right now, I am training for a HUGE goal... To run a 10 MILE race in Stoughton WI.  I have been running all winter on the treadmill to try help train.  Daily I try to run.  I even joined a 1000 mile in a year group - I figured what the heck.  Plus, it is interesting to see how many miles I have logged in.  My hope and prayer is that others see this story and it helps them to progress.  I do not let MS have me... There are MANY times that I literally curse MS with many many not so nice words.  But MS does not deserve nice words.  I WILL NOT let it control me!!!!!  I need to be in control!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment