Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 2012

I survived last week's race in Rock City. It was VERY hot and humid. The humid and heat really affects my running. I was able run it 100% but it was really difficult. My time was not has good as it could be. I did have a WONDERFUL surprise at this race. A former member of our run club joined us for this race. This was her first race of the season. Plus, she has been recently diagnosed with MS. So I can relate to her on many aspects. Running is hard and running with MS is beyond hard... Everyday is so different... You never know how your body is going to perform. Like this week, for example.... After the race - I was fine. I was tired but managed. Then Sunday, there was a light mist about half way into my morning run. So I went for a longer run. In fact, it is the longest run I have done in quite awhile (5.2 miles), mainly due to the heat. Now I am back to bad fatigue issues. Yesterday, I did not run in the morning and tried in the evening. It was very slow feeling and only could do a couple miles. Today, I could not get going at all this morning. So I will take a day off. I am hoping that my energy level comes back to me and I can go out tomorrow morning for a nice run. I do have another race this Saturday. This race is in Belvidere (town east of me). I have not done this race before. If my energy level is good and it is not so blasted hot - I should be fine. All I can do is what I can do... I do like to run in the cooler weather. This high heat is really hard on me. I think that is what takes so much of my energy away. I do rest after my races. I usually go and do some sewing or in the pool. Sunday, my energy level was through the roof. It was wonderful. Not only did I have that wonderful run in the morning, I also had a nice long bike ride that afternoon. So as you see my energy level is very unstable. Yes, I do take medication for my energy level. This is a very big symptom of MS. Having chronic fatigue is a BITCH.... Believe me everything you do takes GREAT energy. I can feel when it is gone and feel when it is coming back. It is very odd and extremely hard to explain. I am also very excited because on Friday, I am making plans to visit the Deer Park in Oregon WI. This is a Buddist retreat center. At the 10 mile race, we literally ran right by their property. It is a beautiful area. I have been wanting to go there for years. So am making the arrangements and plan to visit their on Friday. Today, I will take a day off running and exercise. Then hopefully tomorrow morning I can run. It would be nice if I could do a long run. I do enjoy the long runs. But I have to have the right conditions. That is why I am looking at doing some longer races (10K's) in the fall. I know there is no way to do them in the heat. But to wait till Sept or so - now I am fine with that. MS and heat do not mix!!!! But on the whole, with this summer being so horribly hot - I have lasted very well. Especially with the races. I do believe that my overall stamina and energy level endurance has greatly improved. Yes, I do have my down days, such as now... But my overall is MUCH better... So like everything - you have to take the good with the bad. That is the way it is with MS. You have to let the bad (whether it be pain, fatigue, cognitive issues, ect) roll along -- then try to gear yourself up for the passing and try to get back to your status quo. Whatever that baseline is. We all have different baselines. That is the nature of Secondary Progressive MS... You ALWAYS experience symptoms but the level of the symptomks tends to be at different levels. Believe me it is really easy to go to the darkness when the fatigue monster really hits. He is SO RIGHT on top of you. But you cannot let him in. You just have to let him pass by.... That is a REALLY REALLY REALLY hard thing to do. I know that many MS folks have difficulties with that concept. You have to stay strong, stay with the belief that you can overcome and not let the fatigue monster or MS suck you down to the darkness. You have to stay focused to the light... It is SO SO very important!!!!! Remember - ALWAYS FORWARD!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment