Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5, 2012

HOT, HOT, AND MORE HOT!!!!! That is the forecast!!! It is predicted to get up to 106 degrees Fahrenheit (actual temp) today!!!! It has also be extremely dry. We have not had any good rains. In fact, it is so dry that many communities in the area cancelled their fireworks for last night's 4th celebration due to the fear of fires. All the grass and yards are basically brown. In Pecatonica, no one waters their grass because our water rates are just WAY to expensive!!! Oh well.... The other part of this is the heat. As I have explained MS and heat are not good together. In fact, quite the opposite and a bit of a dangerous combination. I have explained this in relation to the thermostat in a car getting stuck. When that happens the car will over heat and stop running. It may even ruin the engine. Same with people with MS. We cannot regulate our thermostat, ours gets "stuck". Therefore, after a race I HAVE TO COOL DOWN IMMEDIATELY!!! IT IS NOT AN OPTION!!!! Otherwise, that thermostat gets "stuck" and I will over heat which will cause serious issues with my cognitive aspects, coordination, tremors, heart rate and on and on... The only thing to do is FORCE THE BODY TO COOL DOWN AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE... That is why after a race I ice down... I literally have ice packs that I wear... It forces the body to cool down and get that thermostat back into line before it goes 100% off alignment. It is the time of year, for more activity at the fairgrounds so running through there in the morning is getting more difficult. So I have plotted a new course. It is a little farther (3.5 miles). (I was doing 3.4 with my fairgrounds route.) I think it is a little more hilly. I did it today in 45 mins. That is not too bad considering the heat. Even early this morning (6a) it was still very very hot. It is predicted to get to 106 degrees today (actual temp). Tomorrow is a non-run day being that it is the day before a race. So tonight is my 2 exercise classes. In fact, I am teaching the Pilates class for my friend Laura tonight. As I have mentioned, I LOVE Pilates. It has helped me so much with my stability and core strength. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ALL PEOPLE WITH ANY STABILITY ISSUES!!!!!! Last week was the 5K in Stockton. This is EXTREMELY HILLY AND ALWAYS VERY HOT race!!! I was very pleased with this race -- I ran it 100% (1st time) and received a 3rd place in my age group. So I came home not just with the shirt but also a beautiful medal! Tomorrow's race is in a neighboring town, Winnebago. I have never done this race. Just due to the heat, it will be extremely challenging. Then I have a break from race for a week or so... That is OK - I can just work on my own training and my new route. The other interesting thing that happened to me this week is that I had jury duty. Now this is the second time I have been called. The first time, I went and sat their for awhile then was told to leave. This time I was actually picked for the jury. I served on the jury and listened to the case. It was a case regarding resisting arrest. There was two counts of this crime against this person. When we went to our room to discuss the case. We all vote guilt except one person. So then for the next hour or more we had to discuss the case to convince that person to change her vote. She finally did and we could unanimously render our verdict. We voted one count guilty and one count not guilty. But it was a VERY VERY interesting experience!!!! Which if you think about it... here at time of our nation's birthday and being part of our democratic system in action... It was really very fulfilling to me as an American. Now till Saturday, I do not run. Today, I will be in the pool. It is too hot to do much of anything else outside. Then afterwards over to the gym for a non-impact exercise class and then Pilates. Tomorrow I will probably just go over to the gym and do Pilates and non-aerobic type of workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment