Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 19, 2013

http://www.thisisfitworkouts.com/pam-ran-13-miles-oh-and-pam-has-m-s Yes, I lived and COMPLETED the 13.1 miles practice 1/2 marathon run last Saturday!!!! My friend Laura (also trainer, exercise instructor, and my son's former 4th grade teacher) rode her bike as I followed. We did the whole route and I ran it 100%. I did stop for one bathroom break and one minor fall towards the end. But I kept going just nice and steady. I really think Laura was surprised. She asked me when we were about to start, if I plan to walk/run it. I said, NO -- run it 100% at my speed. And that was exactly what I did. It is a beautiful route around Lake Monona in Madison, WI. It was nice having change of scenery along the way. We past gorgeous lake front homes, over the bridge to downtown, saw the beauty of the capital building with the lake in the foreground, Monona Terrace, through parks, etc. I passed all kinds of people; some fishing, some walking dogs, some running, a group of military/veterans running in a group. I said, "Hi!" to all of them. I felt so empowered - that I was ACTUALLY DOING THIS!!!! It was amazing when we got to the bridge and I the GORGEOUS view of the Capitol building and downtown Madison. I was very happy!!! I was born in Madison and it seemed fitting for me to do this HUGE challange here. I was keeping in mind all the years and struggle it has taken me to get to this point. I was also keeping in mind ALL the people with MS that are currently struggling. MS is a struggle (understatement)--- 24/7 - no doubt. But not ALLOWING it to over take you is the key. Yes, I know right now I have accomplished this. Will I be able to do it again, don't know but I am going to give it my damn-ness! I am so blessed to have a great support system of family and friends. It really encourages me and motivates me!!!! The whole run I just locked into my pace and followed Laura as she rode her bike. Just nice and easy! I was getting tired about the 12th mile and did take a very minor tumble. Laura checked me for any big cuts and/or bleeding (since I really very rarely feel sensory pain) and I was OK so off I went. This took all of maybe a minute or two. Afterwards, I walked/paced awhile in the parking lot to get the nerves and muscles calm down. Then I drove to Stoughton for my lefse and coffee breakfast. I was able to sit and enjoy my breakfast/lunch and just relax. Afterwards, believe it or not, I spent the rest of the afternoon shopping and visiting with friends in Stoughton. I felt fine. I just needed my "down time". Now the race is a week away. I am doing shorter runs this week. I don't want to get to over trained and not accomplish the actual race. But I think I am feeling good about everything and being able to handle the distance. Who would have EVER in a million years fathom that I could do this. I know that I did not. Even if you would have said anything about running a 1/2 marathon two years ago - I would have fallen over laughing. ME - 50+ year old, who NEVER ran before, with Secondary Progressive MS... It just goes to show you - that if you dream it and really want it - you can obtain it. What is my secret? It has been YEARS of HARD, HARD WORK; lots and lots of exercise; DRASTIC change of in my nutrition lifestyle to whole foods; drastic weight loss (over 120lbs); and overall improvement of general health. This is not something you do for a few months -- this is a TOTAL LIFESTYLE CHANGE... I am not only one that has experienced drastically improved via this journey - there are others of us out there. But it takes work! I believe in continue to fight the MONSTER OF MS and I will not stop. Now I am focusing on completing this race then,???? The sky is the limit!!!!! REMEMBER, ALWAYS FORWARD~!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment