Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29, 2013

YES --- I did it!!!! I was able to get my FIRST 12+ miler in last Saturday!!! I did have to wait till about mid-morning for the temperature to warm up a bit. It was in the 30's-40's during my run. It is a LONG run and even though I have been doing longer runs in town when you get past that 10 mile mark, I start to really feel it. I did make it all the way through. My only stop was at the gym (about a mile from my house) to use the restroom. I do LOVE running out in the country - the hills, fields, woods -- it is all so beautiful and peaceful. I did encounter a dog at one point that at first started running along side me but when I got outside his territory he seemed upset that I was not there to specifically play with him. That I did not like. All I did was shout, "NO" very sternly and pray that he did not take a big bite out of me. Well, he did not bite me (thank goodness) and I just proceeded on my route. After that run on Saturday, I was fine. My calves were bothering me a bit. So this week, I have taken it easy on the amount of miles. I don't want to get those HORRIBLE shin splints again. That was really really really PAINFUL. So I am trying to really watch and listen to what my legs are telling me. You have to think not only do I have MS in which my muscles tend to go spastic and rigid at anytime but I also have very tight hamstrings from the MS. I work on trying to loosen them up but, I think that the tightness is not helping the calf muscles. I am trying to do more calf/hamstring exercises even while sitting. Just doing a point and flex - is always feels very tight. I actually think that the whole tightness in the calves and flexiblity of my ankles/feet are throwing off my alignment. I am feeling the added pressure in my knees. That is not good. So I figure - back down the mileage a bit. Tomorrow, I plan to go out and get my second 12+ miler. Then I thought would be a good idea is 2 weeks prior to the race, I am going to run the route in Stoughton. The route is posted prior to the event. Even though, I do have a clue of the route from running it last year. I think this would be a good idea and even a bit calming to me. (Knowing that I accomplished it again - you know that psych thing!!) Yesterday, was our first TRUE taste of spring. We had temperatures all the way up to a BALMY 50 degrees. I was out there running in SHORTS!!! LOVED not having the underarmour pants on. We still have snow on the ground but it is disappearing!!! Another day or two of warmer weather and it will be GONE~!!!!!! Otherwise, I just want to really try to listen to my body and try to stay wise about my distance running. If I can get in my one long run per week and the rest to lower the mileage - that is fine. If I want to accomplish my goals of the 10 mile and 1/2 marathon this year, I am going to have to really watch it. I do not need to go back to BAD shin splints or have my knees blow out. Not only I am dealing with the MS I also have to think I am older.... I will be 53 years old here very soon. So that is 53 year old joints and muscles. I do try very hard to stay with my nutrition. It is very important!!! I have had this week a couple of times - a vegetable omelet made in the microwave. It is really good and very filling plus LOTS of protein. I use 2 eggs plus whatever veggies we have around... YUMMMMMMY!!!! Making it in the microwave - no grease so that saves on calories and fat. Plus, since I am increasing my distance it is important to have the protein so that I do not tear down all those muscles that I have been building up. Otherwise, I cannot wait till the weather stays warmer and sunny. It is so nice to get some sun on your face. I love that!!! So hopefully tomorrow, I can knock out another 12 miles!!! As ALWAYS AND FORWARD --- MOVING FORWARD!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment