Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19, 2012

Well this week has not been to great with running. I have NOT run the past couple of days due to the rain. I know that I could have ran inside on the treadmill. I actually did do that on Sunday because I needed to run and the weather has not been too cooperative. Well, it is getting to be that time of year.... I am up to 835.49 miles to date. So I am trying to finish the 1000 by 12/31... So I have 164.51 to go... Basically 11 weeks... 14.96 miles per week. Last week I did over 18 miles and so far this week I have done 14.31 miles. I hope to really push that number this weekend... It is supposed to be dry so I should be able to get in some longer runs. I did sign up for the 10K in Sycamore on Oct 28th. This will be my second 10K race of the season. It is good for me to get in more longer distance races. I am also looking at doing at 8K race in Winnebago on November 10th. I need to really focus on keeping my mileage up. The later part of this week has been really hard - between the rain and my shoulder is still giving me grief. I have not been sleeping well (I never sleep that great due to the neuropathy and spasms in my legs/feet) but the aching pain in my shoulder has really been bothering me.... This weekend is suppose to be good - cool and sunny. I want to get some long runs. Then it would help to knock off some mileage - that would be great!!!! I also know that I have been more fatigued lately. I did get my thyroid med increased so that should help - it will also help with the energy level. My thyroid levels became low as a side effect from the Avonex (interferon injectable I use for my MS). So my thyroid levels have to be monitored. I did have a nice evening run with my running buddy Lisa the other day. It is the first time we have ever ran together. She is much faster than I am. But we did the 4.77 miles at a good pace. I asked her afterwards if I was aweful slow for her. She said that, no - that I had a nice even pace and was not too slow. That made me feel good that I was not extensively holding her back. It was good for me to run with another person. It just makes me more accountable for my pace/time. Hopefully, we can do it again sometime! I do not talk when I run. I HAVE TO STAY FOCUSED 100000% of the time on my running. It is when my mind wanders just a little bit that is when I fall. I have to stay very mindful of my stepping and make sure that lift up my feet and do not drag my foot. I also have to make sure that BOTH legs are stepping. I know this sounds wierd but, sometimes I unconsciencely think I am stepping out on my leg and my leg has not moved. So I am stepping on nothing and down I go... It is really really wierd. So I HAVE to make sure that BOTH legs are stepping out - many times I feel like I am exagerating my steps but that is what I have to do. As I run I get more fatigued and as I get more fatigued the nerves that tell the muscles to move are getting more and more over worked. Now you have to think my nerves are damaged so it is like you having damaged wiring in your house and at first just turning on a simple lamp. That goes OK... Now to that same wiring you plug in your refrigerator - now you would probably have issues... It may spark or only work part of the time or just catch fire.... It is a HUGE gamble... For me it is the same thing... EVERY time I run it is a gamble... My legs may not work properly and then I fall or sometimes they feel so DAMN heavy like I have cement shoes on or I feel like I have rocks in my shoes or I feel like I have SUPER TIGHT compression tights on --- all these feelings of the "fire" from the damaged nerves. I always have to plan a big run on days that I do not have any pressing engagements. Sometimes after I rest for a couple of hours I am ready and do a bunch of activities. Other times I am really fatigued for the rest of the day --- I never know how it is going to play out. This weekend the only things I have planned is running and sewing. If it is nice and I have energy it would be GREAT to get in a nice bike ride. We will see how it goes. That is the thing with MS that is SO VERY FRUSTRATING - the unpredictability. You don't know how you are going to feel after some activities. Sometimes after a very stressfull activity it may even take a couple of days for the fatigue to HIT. But when it hits - IT HITS!!!! Overall - my fatigue level is 100000% better!!!! It used to be after working and then exercise class - I could not even talk with ANYONE... That is how horribly exhausted I was. Even the energy of talking was enough to literally kill me... I still get fatigued but have not been that low of energy in a LONG LONG time.... So tonight is BodyPump (weight lifting exercise routine class) then home and rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment