Wednesday, June 27, 2012

June 27, 2012

Well, the heat is coming back.... I knew it would, this is the weekend for the Stockton 5K. This will be my (I think) 4th time doing this race. Last year, I STILL was not running a 5K 100%. So I pray that this year, I run it 100%. Since know I have been running that far and farther 100%. It is a very difficult race. Stockton is a small town close to Galena, IL. Therefore, it is VERY, VERY hilly. It is TRULY very challanging! The other REALLY nice thing is that they have opened the community swimming pool to the runners after the race. For me, this is PERFECT!!!! It really gives me an opportunity to cool down that core temperature. That is where I have such issues... I have NEVER placed at this race. There are many "big" runners that come to this race from the Galena area. These are true avid runners. But there is also people like me - just regular everyday people. My goals for this race is the usual: stay upright, finish, not be last. I would also love to improve my time from the last race in Davis. I had a time of 32.41 mins. I still REALLY want to get down to 29 by the Orangeville race in October.... Otherwise, my training has been going well. I did one longer run this last week, 6.8 miles. It had been a long time since I did that long of a run. I did not go out into the country, which I really enjoy, because of the warm weather. I worry about being out there in the middle of no where without any water. So I just did my usual route two times. That way I could stop at the house and have a water bottle at the end of the driveway. I thought that was probably a wiser idea at this point. I would love to be able to continue doing a double or even triple of my route at least one time per week. This would definetely improve my strength. That is one thing I have really improved on this last year is my strength in my legs. I believe it is from all the squats we do at BodyPump and John's classes. Then of course, my Pilates keep that core strong and me more stable!!! So right now, I have on my calendar Stockton for this Saturday and Winnebago for the following Sat after that. So I have two races in a row. I have been invited to do another race on the 4th (which is Wednesday). But I think having 3 races in a week's time span is to much. I have just graduated to having them each Saturday. Last year, I only did races every other weekend. So I am doing more races this year. That does improve my overall running, time and strength. So not only is the exercise a key component to my improvement but the nutrition is the other key aspect. Staying away from the processed foods, red meat, and going into a more whole foods and raw foods type diet. It is not to say I never have pizza. Let's get real, there are some things one must have sometimes. But I have pizza maybe at the most twice a month. So even that is really limited. The pizza I have is vegetable and chicken. Never with any red meat. But that is probably the only packaged prepared foods that I have anymore. Everything else is either raw or I cook from scratch. Now with a big race on Saturday, on Friday night I will probably have some carbs... so maybe some spagetti with a little tomato sauce. If I feel like it I may heat up one of my homemade Bocca burgers just for the added protein. But I try to keep it light and yet keep the carbs and protein up. It seems to work out. Then on the morning of the race, I have a small bowl of oatmeal with some fruit. Nothing big... I mean a SMALL bowl... It seems to be enough to keep the energy level up. Then after the race I can have a real meal. But now with the warm weather it lets me get in some "quality pool time" and also lets me continue with my quilting projects. Swimming is something I have always loved. I have swam since I was a little kid. I was on various swim teams. My stroke was the butterfly for that you need to have a very strong upper body. I still swim in my pool. I have a 24' round pool. Jeremy got me a really wonderful thing - basically it is like a leash that you put around your waist and fasten to a stable post. Then you can swim and swim and swim.... So I usually get in and swim for awhile various strokes. It is also good cross training for my running. Plus, you don't sweat when you swim. That is the beauty with summer - there is always so many things you can do. I love all the activity and options. That what makes everything fun!!! Well, wish me luck for the Stockton 5K and hope that it is not horribly hot!!!!! I really want to run it 100% and just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment