Monday, June 18, 2012

June 18, 2012

WOW!!! What a busy and exciting weekend!!!! June 15th was my daughter, Elyse's birthday. It is really hard to fathom that she is now 26 years old!!! She has become a wonderful, self-reliant, wise, loving, and fun person. I could not be happier of how she has grown. Saturday, was an extremely busy and very exciting day!!! I started the day with a 5k race in Davis IL. It was a hard race (they all are hard). There was only about a dozen people at this race. They did not have any prizes or awards. The whole aspect to these race is the challenge. Every single race for me is a HUGE challenge. I never know if my body (due to the MS) is going to not cooperate and then I could be out of the race... But I don't think of what may or could be.... forget that.... I just go..... In this race, I went.... I had my BEST time so far.... 32.41!!!! I am getting closer to that goal of breaking the into the 29 min.... This course was FAR from flat - we had step hills, grades, and even a small area that was NOT paved. So I did have some real obstacles. After the race, went home cleaned up and went into Chicago to hear Dr. Terry Wahl's speak. I was also hoping to meet my Facebook and MS running friend but, she had some unexpected family issues. There will be a next time, that I am sure!!! But I did hear Dr. Wahl's speak. I am a very strong proponent of her philosophy of nutrition and exercise with MS (and general health). I researched on my own through help of my colleagues about nutrition. Since my diagnosis in 2006, I have lost over 120 lbs plus look at the running.... Who would have EVER imagined that I could get to this point????!!!! Believe me - I am MORE surprised than anyone!! I researched about nutrition and MS. I found that getting rid of the processed foods and all the chemicals was NUMBER ONE!!! I do not eat red meat. I only eat poultry, fish, or wild game. Plus of these meats - I sometimes have it at the MOST twice a week or sometime not for a few weeks. My diet is primarily raw... a lot of fruit and veggies... I use soy or rice milk. I use tofu quite a bit as my source of protein. Since I exercise so much, I have to have a good ratio of protein. This I do from the leafy greens, soy milk with protein powder, nuts, and beans. So I am not deficient on any of my nutrients. We differ in some of our daily aspects but the general philosophy of nutrition and organic foods - I am 100% in her corner!!! After her lecture (which was FANTASTIC) I went up and introduced myself. I have talked with her a couple of time on Facebook. She was thrilled and seemed to remember me right away! She had everyone re-take their seats and she want ME to tell this very large room full of people my story. So I did. She told me afterwards that she wanted my contact information for another book that she is putting together. So that I thought was EXTREMELY AWESOME!!!!! Yes - I told the audience that the principles that Dr. Walhs' speaks about is 100% and does it help -- YES!!! Does having the proper nutrition and exercise help - YES!!! Does it make the MS go away - NO!!!! But I am 10000000000000....% healthier now than I have been in decades..... But it takes TIME! It took me about 6 years to reach this point. It is not a "QUICK FIX" BUT HAS TO BECOME A LIFESTYLE!!!! That is the TRUE KEY (in my opinion). Plus look I am running... not walking - a over 50 year old women running races... and actually placing and winning... Plus my cognitive is so much better and also my fatigue. I still take all the western medications... plus my interferon... But it is the nutrition and exercise that has gotten me to this point. I DEMAND to maintain my mobility and my independence!!!! Also another very important aspect to this recipe - is your over all outlook and faith. I have meet people with MS or other neuromuscular diseases and they just give up. WHY??? That is my question. Why would anyone just give themselves right over to that devil, MS??? That is absolutely moronic!!! Every time that devil, MS, tries to take me - I fight even HARDER!!!!! Those are usually the days that I exercise even harder.... I refuse to let that devil MS take me down... and if it does and might bring me down - it definitely will not be without a damn good fight!!! Every running race I do - for me is a celebration. It is a celebration that I am able to do this... it is a celebration for all the others with MS that cannot but are still fighting in their own way.... So therefore, I run.... Now you have to know - this is a newer sport for me. I was NEVER the track kid in school. I NEVER ran in my 20's or 30's. My sport was swimming. That was my sport since I was very young. I am truly blessed that I do have good joints. Especially, after all those years of being over weight. Some how I did get very fortunate in that regard. So what is stopping me - NOTHING!!! Do I still have drop foot issues - yes; do I still have the banding - yes; do I still have the heat intolerance - yes; do I still have the neuropathy pain in my feet and legs - yes; do I still have balance issues - yes; plus all the other issues... BUT - I have learned to manage and deal with them. I do not let them over take me. Since I have the neuropathy and banding feelings 24/7 - I am basically used to it. Yes - there are many times especially with running that these feelings become more intense. Those are times when I say, "damn MS, I will not let you win..." Yes, the heat issues are HORRIBLE and drain every bit of energy... After a race, I have my "pit crew" husband and some of my team mates --- literally start putting ice packs on me the second I cross the finish line. I have to cool down - NOW!!! Once I have cooled down - I seem to be fine and function through the rest of the day.... So there are various "tricks" that I have learned over the last year of running that works for me... The next race? All I can do is my best.... That is what I always try to do!!! Always keep moving FORWARD!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment