Friday, May 18, 2012

5/18/2012

Happy day after Syttendi Mai everyone!!!! Technology Syttendi Mai (means 17th of May) which is Norway's Independence Day. Stoughton WI is a town where we lived and had a family lake cottage. It is originally a Norwegian settlement and every year they celebrate the Norwegian Independence Day. There is a FULL weekend of numerous activities from the runs to canoe races to the art/craft show to the quilt show to the bunad show (Norwegian folk costumes) to parades to dancing to plays to music to worship services to..... on and on..... But as we ALL know that I have been going on incessantly about my involvement with the 10 mile run. I am very very excited and nervous and really praying that I can accomplish this goal! Ever since I began actually running, last year with Run Club, and found out about this distance at Syttendi Mai I thought --- "maybe???" Then last July, I began ACTUALLY running 100% of a 5k and the thought of doing the 10 mile got a little more plausible. Then in April I actually ran 100% of a 12 mile route in Pecatonica. Then the vision of this race got even more obtainable... Then I ACTUALLY ran the 12 mile route EVERY weekend up to this point that is a total of 8 -- (YES EIGHT TIMES)to current date. Which I really did not think was going to happen. I really thought if I got 6 times in would be great - I was factoring either bad weather or that my body was not going to be cooperative. But I REALLY did it. So there is one HUGE GOAL - that I actually SURPASSED!!! WOW!!!!! Let alone the Secondary Progressive MS ---- how many 50+ women do you know that have run 12 miles in the past 8 weeks?????!!!!! I don't know anyone.... Even of my run club - there is not any women (who are DECADES younger than me) that have ran 12 miles at one time during this spring.... So yes - I am congratulating myself for a job well done. I think I have earned it!!!!! It may sound EXTREMELY egotistical - but you know I deserve it!!!! I think we NEED and DESERVE to congratulate ourselves when we have done a good job or reached a milestone. Why not?????? I remember when I was in grad school, one of our first sessions, Sister Mary Ellen was giving an orientation. She said this was a difficult program,..... and that after you have survived every course reward yourself. She also encouraged us to think of something as a LARGE REWARD when we obtained our graduate degree. I actually took her advice. I did reward myself after each session of courses - sometimes it was just having a drink with friends or watching a TV program or doing something with the kids.... simple things.... But at the end - I did reward myself.... I went to Hawaii and got to spend time with my best friend from college.... I REALLY appreciated those "rewards" why? Because I worked my ASS off for them and also for myself and my family.... Now, with this run. Yes, this is something I have been progressing toward since 2007 - THAT IS SIX (6) YEARS... YES, THAT LONG!!!! From walking down my block (which is a total of 3 houses) with a WALKER then to a CANE..... Taking and teaching water aerobics to aerobic and exercise classes at the gym to running club to actually competing and placing in 5k races to running 12 miles in very hilly terrain to actually competing in a 10 mile race...... WOW!!!! Well, it only took almost 6 years with of work. YES - I SAID 6 YEARS WORTH OF VERY VERY HARD WORK!!!!!!! So if you think this is easy for me - WRONG... If you think now that I have ran 12 miles that all this is easy --- WRONG!!!! EVERY TIME IS DAMN HARD!!!! I MEAN NOT JUST A LITTLE HARD --- DAMN HARD!!!!!!!!! But is it worth it -- OH YES!!!! Why, my overall mobility has improved drastically, my overall health has improved drastically.... so let's think about this.... it sounds pretty benefical.. doesn't it????!!!! The whole point of this is my health and mobility. I want to be around to be ACTIVE with my kids and some day maybe grandkids. I want to see my own kids blossom further into adulthood.... It is wonderful!!! I don't want to be taken care of... (that would probably kill me - I am way to independent and stubborn for that...) I enjoy being a FREE SPIRIT... God gave me a free spirit and drive and determination and stubborness.... why - maybe it was to prepare me for tackling the HELL of MS.... You know - I use every ounce of all those attributes EVERY DAY and EVERY MINUTE to tackle the MS MONSTER. If you were running next to me - specially when I start getting more fatigued and the drop foot thing starts happening or the legs feel like they are being squeezed so incredibly hard that they are going to burst - I verbally and many times LOUDLY start to cuss out MS... I tell it with every horrible word I know to go away and back off. I am NOT going to ALLOW IT TO OVER TAKE ME..... Now, mind you, I go off and run by myself in the middle of the county - there is no one except some animals that really hear me. Otherwise, I sure someone would probably come along and lock me up. But it is my way of venting out those frustrations and rising ABOVE where the disease really wants to do to my body.... I just told it to go back to HELL where it belongs. Now - I am NOT cussing out any persons ONLY THE MS.... That is the devil that does NOT deserve any kind words EVER and never never will!!!!!! Today is a day to celebrate!!!! I have made it this far - WOW!!!! Tomorrow is my day!!! I am going to run the 10 miles - 100% and stay upright and not be last!!!! Then after my shower - off to Fosdahl's Bakery (I hope they have enough lefse and coffee for me, LOL) -- here I COME!!!!!! Then the following weekend is the start of the local 5k races.... It will be a FULL summer of running - I LOVE it!!!! I have dedicated this 10 mile run to EVERYONE WITH NEUROMUSCULAR DISEASES (INCLUDING MS) AND CANNOT RUN.... I RUN FOR NOT ONLY MYSELF BUT FOR ALL OF YOU... I LITERALLY THINK OF ALL MY FRIENDS WITH MS; YOU ARE RUNNING WITH ME, YOU ARE ENCOURAGING ME, YOU ARE APART OF ME!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment