Friday, February 22, 2013

February 22, 2013

OK --- I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!! IT IS OFFICIAL!!!!!!! I HAVE SENT IN MY REGISTRATION FOR THE 10 MILE RUN FOR SYTTENDI MAI IN STOUGHTON, WI!!!! So you know what that means -- training has begun. Right now, due to weather issues I have been sentenced to running on the Precor machine. I did have an opportunity to get outside last Sunday - it had warmed up and alot of the snow/ice had melted. But there was a problem --- my damn body -- it was NOT going to happen. I was really wrestling with a bout of MS fatigue. So I spent the day watching old movies and working on the new "quilt from hell". This is what my WONDERFUL daughter has "sentenced" me to do for her. (Truly I am kidding - I really enjoy it.. but do love to give her a tough time - just for kicks!) So this weekend, I will be one with the Precor machine. That is all I am going to be able to do. We just recieved more snow last night (7") and it snowing again now. So it does not look like outside is going to work for me. The only hope is if Sunday it warms up and the streets are plowed really well. Never know... I will just have to wait and see... Plus, the other exciting news is that we are getting ready for our Run Club to begin in Pecatonica!!!! So I will be getting in more distance running in the evening (it will be light longer soon and warmer). As far as my overall MS issues... I have been holding fairly steady. As I reflect back, I have made leaps and bounds progress on my fatigue and overall stamina. Also, due to my various physical exercise my stamina for lifting and doing mundane tasks (like shoveling snow) is DRASTICALLY improved. I do still have issues with fatigue, spasticity, optic neuritis (blurred vision), tremors, some cognitive fog (MUCH IMPROVED), tolerance to heat/cold is improved but still hard for me, balance is DRASTICALLY improved... so as you see I am making progress. I still have ALL these issues plus some others... but I have them fairly in check. Probably my main issues are the fatigue and the spasticity.... My muscles get VERY spastic and YES IT HURTS... I mean ALOT.... Also I deal with the CONSTANT numbness and pins/needles feelings in my feet/legs/hands... sometimes it goes in my arms and face. All these issues that I have named --- guess what.... you cannot see them... But believe me there are VERY VERY VERY real to me. That is whole issue with MS because it attacks the nervous system - many of the pain or issues are not apparent to the outside. But that is the way MS works.... I have what is labeled --Secondary-Progressive MS. Here is the description: Secondary-progressive MS is more of a mixed bag. Initially it may involve a period of relapsing-remitting activity, with symptom flare-ups followed by recovery periods. Yet, the disability of MS doesn’t disappear between cycles. Instead, this period of fluctuation is followed by a steady worsening of the condition. People with secondary-progressive MS may experience minor remissions or plateaus in their symptoms, but this is not always the case. So this is why I CELEBRATE EACH and EVERY race and run that I finish. Because, I do not know when or if my body will force me to quit. I am VERY THANKFUL and REJOICE in every run and workout that I do. I know that each one of them helps to make me stronger and hopefully keeps the ravages of MS at bay a little longer. Soon I am going to be a Grandmother. I want SO VERY DESPERATELY to be able to go run and play with my grandchild. I want VERY DESPERATELY to be able to use the jogging stroller that I have in my garage with that child and maybe other grandchildren. I LOVE being active!!!! The more active the better!!!! So I will continue to MOVE FORWARD --- ALWAYS FORWARD!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment