Thursday, March 26, 2015

March 26, 2015

It has been quite awhile since I have written. It has been a VERY CHALLENGING YEAR!!! The DAMN MS has a powerful grip even with all my efforts. It still knows and does attack in the most vicous and unforgiving way... So my runnng last year was minimal. It was all due to the torn tendons in my left ankle. My last REAL run was for the Pec Library - Memorial Day 5K. Then I was doing an eminse amount of physical therapy. The PT was GREAT and actually understood MS. It is AMAZING how many health professionals do not get the various aspects and quirks of MS. We worked on strengthening my left hip and ankle, One thing, I was able to do without causing greater injury was biking. So, I bought myself my FIRST 21-speed bicycle. I called it my "big girl bike". I did a few organized bike tours. My longest ride was 66 miles!!! I really loved it!!!! Plus, over the winter I had to have a round of the YUCKY steriods. It was not due to the MS. It was some weird allergy. We still have no clue of what caused it. I was broken out EVERYWHERE!!!! I REALLY mean EVERYWHERE. So a good month of that horrible stuff. Yes, it did take care of the hives but it also left me with an extra 20lbs!!!! DAMN!!!! I did keep with ALL my regular exercise, indoors. I have even progressed with my Pilates to the point that I am teaching it at Summit Fitness. I have been substituting for my friend,Laura, but now I am a PAID instructor!!! I plan on getting certified in Pilates this winter. Right now, I have too many things keeping me VERY BUSY!! I am still working full time. Plus, spending as much time as possible with my little grandsons!!! The other thing I have started with a couple other folks is a BIKE CLUB in town. We are planning on starting on April 16th!!!! I am REALLY excited about that!!! I am still a member and believe it or not a leader of the RUN CLUB. I am going to lead the beginner group with a couple other people. To think, IN LESS THAN ONE YEAR... I was running 12 miles at a time now to a walk/run status. It is VERY frustrating! I try to keep with my mantra -- ALWAYS FORWARD!!!! I am going to do short runs now. Plus, my biking I can go as far as I want. I AM NOT ALLOWING THE MS TO TAKE MORE FROM ME!!!! I have set my goals for this year. They include: a triathalon and to bike to Madison, WI and back. I also plan on doing some bike tours. In fact, I am helping to organize a bike tour in Pecatonica on Memorial Day weekend. My usual first big run for Syttende Mai in Stoughton,WI will be different this year. Since, I cannot run it. I have contacted the organizers and told them I want to volunteer to bike the route and monitor the safety of the runners. This way I am still involved with an event I TRULY love!!!! I am not sure if I am biking the 20 or 10 mile runners. Either way, I am going to be putting on some decent miles and getting a workout. So as you see,even though the DAMN MS has tried its damnest to knock me down. I have picked myself up and going about things in a different route. As for my ankle situation, even with my continuing the PT exercises (3X/week), the alignment of the ankle and leg is getting worse. It is getting to the point, that I am feeling it in my joints. I had an appointment with my neurologist at the MS Clinic this week and that was one of our discussion points. He is having me go to the Ortho/Rehab to see about getting a brace for my ankle. I have been wearing when running a soft brace recommended by the PT and the podiatrist. But that is not doing the trick. The muscles in the ankle are rotating outward. So of course, I am feeling pressure in my knee and hip. This is NOT COOL!!! DAMN, FUCKING MS!!!!! So if getting a brace to help/keep alignment then so be it.... My joints are way too damn precious!!!! That appointment has already been set and in April sometime. Till then, I will wear the soft brace when I run or long bike rides!!! As for the rest of my LOVELY (ironic... smirk) symptoms, I have been having same amount of numbness in legs, arms, and face. My urinary issues have been more apparent. My night time frequency/urgency has increased to sometimes 5X per night. So he just prescribed me meds for that. My sleeping pattern is still SHIT!!! I go to bed about 10-11 and the damn legs are moving by 4-5am. So I get up and go to the gym. It is usually quiet there and it is mostly the same group of people. I tend to go off and do my Pilates and various floor exerices without anyone near me. He has offered me countless time something to help with the sleeping issue. I refuse!!! I do not want to be a ZOMBIE because of sleep meds. I am used to my weird sleep pattern. I just want to stop the endless trips to the pottie!!!! It does sometimes upset me that people do not SEE MS always. Therefore, if you are not using a wheelchair or cane or wwhatever that everything is just PEACHY! Well, I can tell you that it is NOT PEACHY.. MS SUCKS!!! So --- here I am still fighting and taking alternate measures to keep moving forward. ALWAYS FORWARD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment